Rebellious Tano is sent from Santiago to Southern Chile under the custody of his father whom he has not seen in years. In his new school, he meets Cheo, a shy boy who gets bullied for his indigenous origins.
The two outsiders befriend in learning how to brave their own difficulties : while Tano becomes less angry, Cheo finds strength in claiming his identity.
Their involvement in the struggle with the Mapuche community will transform them.
A reflection of the ongoing Mapuche conflict portrayed through the friendship and solidarity of two pure souls as well as the analysis of social prejudices, unspoken family stories and the violent daily routine of a community threatened by big local companies and eviction government methods.
Chile – 2016 – 89 ‘ – HD – 1:85.1 – 5.1 – Spanish / Mapudungun
coproduced by Pinda & Molotov Cine
Claudia Huaiquimilla & Pablo Greene
2012: Saint-John, the longest night (Short – 17′)
2014: Maulinos: El barrio y sus caminos – (Documentary – 30’)
cast & crew
- Matias Illanes (DOP)
- Valeria Hernandez (Editor)
- Carlos Collio, Diego Aguilar, Andrés Zelada (Sound)
- Composer: Miranda Y Tobar
- Cast: with Andrew Bargsted (Tano), Francisco Pérez-Bannen (Javier), Eliseo Fernandez (Cheo), Francisca Gavilan (Andrea), Ariel Mateluna (Pedro)
Festivals & Awards
Valdivia 2016 – National Competition – Winner Grand Prix
- Palm Springs 2017 – Ibero American Competition
- FECIH Chile 2017 – 8 awards ! Best Picture, Audience Award, Press Award, Best Direction, Best Script, Best Actor (Andrew), Best Cinematography and Best Art Direction
- Göteborg – Bergman Competition
- Lebu, Chile – Audience Award
- Iquique, Chile – Best Film / International Competition
- Guadalajara – Official Competition
- Sofia, Bulgaria – Official Competition
- Toulouse – Official Competition – 3 main Awards: Audience Award, Student Prize and Special Mention from CCAS
- Chicago Latino FF, USA – Panorama
- Zlin, Czech Republic – Official Competition
- Cine las Americas, USA – Panorama
- Seattle IFF – Official Competition
- AluCine Festival, Toronto, Canada – Audience Choice Award
- Quito, Ecuador – Audience Award