Eve, a young chambermaid at a luxurious Mexico City hotel, confronts the monotony of long workdays with quiet examinations of forgotten belongings and budding friendships that nourish her newfound and determined dream for a better life.
2018 – Mexico – HD – 102 min – 2:35.1 – 5.1 – Spanish
Lila Avilés & Tatiana Graullera (Limerencia)
Bad Boy Billy Production (Axel Shalson)
La Panda Productions (Jana Diaz-Juhl & Pau Brunet)
Lila Avilés & Juan Carlos Marquéz
DOP – Carlos Rossini
Editor – Omar Guzmán
Sound Design – Guido Berenblum
Production design – Vika Fleitas
Gabriela Cartol (Eve)
Teresa Sánchez (Minitoy)
Agustina Quinci (The Argentinean Mother)
- Toronto IFF 2018 – Discovery (World premiere)
- San Sebastian IFF 2018 – New Directors – Competition (European premiere)
- Busan IFF 2018 – Flash Forward
- BFI London FF 2018 – First Feature Competition
- La Orquidea IFF Cuenca 2018, Equator – Ópera Prima Iberoamericana, Best Direction for Lila Avilés and
Best Actress award for Gabriela Cartol
- Morelia IFF 2018, Mexico – Premio Guerrero de la prensa ficcion and Ojo for Mexican Feature Film
- Tofifest IFF 2018 – Forward !
- Rio de Janeiro IFF 2018 – Latin Premiere
- Minsk IFF “Listopad” 2018 – Best Feature film Award and FIPRESCI Award
- AFI Fest 2018 – New Auteurs
- Stockhom IFF 2018 – Competition
- FILMAR en America Latina 2018, Switzerland – Focus Sud
- Singapore IFF 2018 – Cinema Today
Bio - Filmo
Lila Avilés studied Direction and Performing Arts with some of the leading theatrical figures in México such as Martin Acosta, Sandra Felix and Juliana Faesler. She also studied film writing with Beatriz Novaro and Paula Marcovich. After her beginnings as a theater actress she moved into directing. Her work as a director includes “Gardenia Club”, “Microdermoabrasión” (National Theater Award), “Antígona” and “The Chambermaid” – that would become the inspiration for her first feature film. She has also directed the operas “Cossi Fan Tutte” and “Alcina” by Mozart and Händel respectively. Lila´s latest play as a producer and actress, “Nothing” and “Everything” by Janne Teller, opened in January 2018 at the UNAM theater in Mexico City.
Her debut feature film, “The Chambermaid” received multiple Awards at both Los Cabos Film Festival and Ventana Sur as work-in-progress.
She is currently immersed in the process writing her next feature film, that will be an autobiographical story.
“This debut by former actress Lila Aviles marks her out as a name to watch” Screen Daily
“This debut looks like a gem… Small, intimate, this is small ball writ large.” by Slash Film
“A fascinating observational drama” by John Fink – The film Stage
“Striking in its own way….Possessed of a deadpan wit and downplayed humanistic warmth of its own… It will mark Avilés as a name to watch” by Jonathan Romney – Screen International
“Mexican director Lila Aviles is a new and intriguing face in the international cinema scene” Far Out Magazine